LONDON — Queen Elizabeth II has tested positive for COVID-19, Buckingham Palace announced early Sunday.
Palace officials said the 95-year-old monarch, who is celebrating her 70th year on the throne, is experiencing“ mild cold-like symptoms” but expects to continue “light duties” at Windsor Castle during the next week, the BBC reported.
“She will continue to receive medical attention and will follow all the appropriate guidelines,” the palace said in a statement.
The Queen had been in contact with her eldest son and heir, Prince Charles, who tested positive last week, the BBC reported. Her daughter-in-law Camilla, Duchess of Cornwall, contracted COVID-19 on Monday. Charles has since returned to work.
She stayed at Windsor Castle in early 2020 with her husband, Prince Philip, and lived in virtual quarantine for more than a year, The New York Times reported.
Philip died on April 9, 2021, at age 99. The queen was forced to isolate herself during his funeral service.
Britain’s longest-reigning monarch reached her 70th anniversary on the throne on Feb. 6.
Elizabeth carried out her first major public engagement for more than three months on the eve of her Platinum Jubilee, meeting charity workers at Sandringham House, the BBC reported.
In a statement issued that day, Elizabeth said she hoped that when Charles succeeded her, Camilla, would be known as queen.
More coronavirus pandemic coverage:
Check back for more on this developing story.
©2022 Cox Media Group