Explosion rocks Dunwoody apartment complex causing raging fire, 2 people injured

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — Fire officials worked to control a raging fire at Dunwoody apartment complex after an explosion Monday afternoon.

The fire happened Dunwoody Village Apartments at 2311 Dunwoody Crossing just before 5 p.m.

Officials from Atlanta Gas Light said the explosion and fire was caused by a damaged gas line.

Video from NewsChopper 2 showed a large fire at the complex with firefighters working to get it under control.

Authorities told Channel 2 Action News that two people were burned and a woman was in labor.

Officials from Atlanta Gas Light released a statement on the fire:

“Two Atlanta Gas Light field service employees sustained injuries while responding to an incident at a Dunwoody apartment complex where a contracting firm working on a project unrelated to our company damaged one of our lines.

We are coordinating with emergency management personnel to secure the scene. As a safety precaution, natural gas service was turned off to the area, impacting approximately 425 customers. Our crews will be working into the night to restore service as safely and swiftly as possible. At this time, we anticipate returning service to customers beginning Tuesday.”

Around 900 people lost power in the Dunwoody area because the fire that damaged Georgia Power underground equipment, Georgia Power said.

Georgia Power customers should have their power restored within hours, the company said.