Woman killed, suspect dead after active shooter situation at Midtown Atlanta high-rise

ATLANTA — Two people, including the suspect, are dead following an active shooter situation Wednesday morning in midtown.

Atlanta police and SWAT responded to the Atlantic House condominiums at 1163 West Peachtree Street where shots were fired after 3 a.m. Wednesday.

After they arrived minutes later, police say Jarvis Jarrette, 32, of Milledgeville, started firing at the officers, who fired back. The suspect was killed in a shootout, according to investigators.

Police said Jarrette shot and killed a woman who lived in the building and that the two knew each other. No one else was injured.

“Sadly we could not address what happened inside an apartment but our quick response I think saved our community from a much worse incident,” Atlanta police chief Rodney Bryant said.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

The all-clear was given but the investigation remains active. Police said they are going through the multiple weapons recovered at the scene.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has also been called since officers were involved in gunfire with the suspect.

Atlanta Mayor Keisha Lance Bottoms spoke at the news conference and stressed the importance of calling 911.

“Social media has received more information than we received at our 911 center. We just ask that you put your camera down and call 911,” Bottoms said.

Channel 2′s Kristen Holloway was in contact with one of the Atlantic House residents. She shared an email from the building manager telling residents to stay indoors.

“A little after three, I heard a gunshot or two,” the resident shared. “I woke up again and it was 3:47 because I looked at my phone and there were more shots. It was really loud.”

During the situation the elevators were shut down and water in the building was turned off.

“The entire side of my building is flooded. I think it’s because I heard bullets pierced a pipe,” a resident said.

Another resident also recalled hearing the shots. He says he didn’t initially know what they were.

“So I heard one or two gunshots probably 3:15, 3:30 and you think it’s going to be fireworks or a car making a loud noise, but then five minutes later you hear pop! Pop! Boom! And you’re like, that’s people shooting each other,” said Charlie Alexander.

Just before 7:45 a.m., an APD officer told Channel 2′s Steve Gehlbach they were allowing residents back in the building.