Henry County

Pregnant woman, teen son among 3 dead after Henry County standoff

HENRY COUNTY, Ga. — A standoff that lasted more than 15 hours in Henry County has ended with three people dead.

The three people include the gunman, who police said had a hostage inside the house in the area of Eagle Court in Stockbridge.

Police confirmed to Channel 2 Action News the victims were a pregnant woman and her 16-year-old son and that the gunman killed himself.

The gunman, suspected of shooting two police officers in Henry County Thursday morning, was barricaded in a home with a teenager who was considered a hostage, overnight into Friday morning.

Scroll down for live updates

By Thursday afternoon, negotiators were still talking with the gunman in a bid to get him to let the 16-year-old go, authorities said.

"We're hoping he was going release the 16-year-old. He said he would, and we're just standing by waiting," Henry County police Capt. Joey Smith told Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne.

[DOWNLOAD: WSB-TV News App for breaking news alerts on this story]

Video from NewsChopper 2 shows dozens of police officers and law enforcement vehicles near the Stockbridge home.

"We do not want to make a dynamic entry into the home," Smith said. "With communication with the individual, at least he's talking -- that's helpful. We're going to wait as long as we can."

Officials told Channel 2 Action News that both officers are recovering at Grady Memorial Hospital. Hospital Spokeswoman Denise Simpson said both officers are expected to survive. Their injuries are described as "non-life-threatening."

Scroll below for LIVE minute-by-minute updates:

4:45 a.m.

Channel 2's Steve Gehlbach spoke with the woman's sister, who was supposed to have her baby shower Saturday.

4:13 a.m.

Channel 2's Christian Jennings learned the gunman killed himself, a pregnant woman and her son.

3:30 a.m.

The standoff has ended. Channel 2's Darryn Moore learned three people were found dead inside the house, including the gunman.

11:21 p.m.

Henry County police say the barricaded suspect refuses to surrender and refuses to provide any proof of the well-being of the 16-year-old held hostage. Several rounds of gas were fired inside the home by law enforcement. Police said the suspect then fired at SWAT officers, but there were no injuries.

9:20 p.m.

Neighbors are reporting continuous gunfire.

9:05 p.m.

Channel 2's Matt Johnson and Christian Jennings both said they heard a loud boom in the neighborhood. Johnson said medics are prepping a stretcher inside the subdivision.

8:17 p.m.

Hostage situation enters Hour 9:

6:17 p.m.

Georgia Attorney General Chris Carr is offering his thoughts and prayers to the officers injured in Henry County today:

6:02 p.m.

The City of Stockbridge sending thoughts and prayers to the injured officers:

5:35 p.m.

Some people coming home from work and/or school tell us they're unable to get into their homes. The gunman is still barricaded inside a home with a hostage.

5:00 p.m.

Our crews at the scene say there is still an ongoing standoff.

4:25 p.m.

Part of the subdivision where the hostage standoff is going on remains blocked off.

4:22 p.m.

Channel 2's Matt Johnson reports Flippen Road has reopened.

4:12 p.m.

Channel 2's Richard Elliot says he just saw a group of police cars drive by. It looks like something has happened.

4:00 p.m. 

The neighborhood where the gunman is barricaded remains locked down.

3:42 p.m.

The kids who were inside a home near where the gunman is barricaded have safely been removed. Channel 2's Tom Jones was there as they reunited with their father.

2:25 p.m.

The Henry County Police Department says they don't believe officers returned fire.

2:23 p.m.

Authorities confirm there is a 16-year-old boy inside the home where the gunman is barricaded. Officers are working to get him out safely.

2:22 p.m.

The two police officers that were shot are stable. Authorities describe their injuries as "non-life-threatening."

2:20 p.m.

Authorities are giving an update to this ongoing situation.

Henry County officers injured

UPDATE: We now know the injured officers have "non-life-threatening" injuries. We also know there is a 16-year-old inside the home where the gunman is barricaded. -------- HAPPENING NOW: Investigators are giving an update on shooting that left 2 officers injured in Henry County - 2wsb.tv/2WKdlOD

Posted by WSB-TV on Thursday, April 4, 2019

1:09 p.m.

Neighbors tell Channel 2's Tom Jones that there are children inside the home next to where a gunman is barricaded.

1:00 p.m.

Channel 2's Tom Jones says he just saw additional bomb squad trucks arrive at the scene.

12:50 p.m.

Channel 2 Action News has confirmed that two police officers were shot this morning in Henry County and they're in serious condition. A gunman is still barricaded inside a home on Eagle Way.

12:30 p.m.

Multiple sources tell Channel 2 Action News that there is a person dead in the home. That person is not the gunman and is not a police officer.

12:07 p.m.

We've learned the situation started at 10:47 a.m.


Georgia Department of Transportation says that they are keeping "all lanes cleared on I-75 northbound of Bridge Road to accommodate emergency vehicles" until 1 p.m.

11:38 a.m.

Interstate 75 south before Hudson Bridge Road has been blocked to allow ambulances to pass through, according to Channel 2's Triple Team Traffic.

11:34 a.m.

Channel 2's Tom Regan is at Grady Memorial Hospital where hospital officials confirm that the two injured officers are being treated.

11: 26 a.m.

Viewers in the area tell Channel 2 Action News that they are hearing sirens from officers, ambulances and fire trucks.

[PHOTOS: 2 officers injured in Henry County shooting]

11:22 a.m.

The Henry County Police Department has confirmed an "active incident" in the area of Eagle Court in Stockbridge.

11:11 a.m.

Sources tell Channel 2 Investigative Reporter Mark Winne that at least one Henry County police officer has been shot.


Police said they were called to a house on Eagle Court about 10:45 a.m. Thursday on a "trouble unknown" call.

The officers were shot after entering the home, police said. One of them was struck in the hand and the other in the torso and hip area.

"I think the less injured officer was able to aid the other and get him out of the house," Smith said.
One of the wounded officers was flown by helicopter to the hospital.

Georgia's transportation department helped clear northbound lanes of Interstate 75 so the other officer could be quickly driven to the hospital.

As negotiations continued Thursday afternoon, residents were told to stay clear of the area as officers dealt with what police described as "a very fluid situation."


Henry County has endured multiple shootings of police officers in the past two years.

In December, Henry County police Officer Michael Smith was shot at a dentist's office and died of his wounds about three weeks later.

Employees at the dentist's office had called police about a man who had been acting erratically, and Smith was shot as he confronted the man.

In February 2018, Locust Grove police Officer Chase Maddox, 26, was shot in the head and killed in the Henry County town he patrolled.

Two Henry County sheriff's deputies were also wounded in that shooting as the three law officers tried to serve an arrest warrant at a home.