Gwinnett County

Middle school kids get sick after THC-tainted Sprite bottle passed around class, parent says

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A Gwinnett County mother says her 12-year-old is recovering after unknowingly ingesting edibles while in his 6th-grade class.

He told his mom that a student had Sprite bottles in class, but no one knew that inside the bottle were enough THC gummies to make the child very sick.

He wasn’t the only one who got sick that day.

The mother, who asked not to be identified, told Channel 2 Gwinnett County bureau reporter Matt Johnson that she rushed to Shiloh Middle School when she got a call that her son needed to go to the hospital.

“He said he felt like he was going to die,” the mother said. “He said his chest felt like It was about to explode and very dizzy.”

It was March 31 when she said her son went to the hospital.

TRENDING STORIES:

It was only later that she found out her 12-year-old son had ingested THC without knowing it after a student gave him a soda bottle. THC is the main compound in marijuana that makes people feel high.

“They told me don’t worry about that right now, worry about your son,” the mother said.

She says a student was giving out Sprite bottles to four kids in class and each bottle had THC gummies inside.

“I heard from the other kids that he gave it to all the smart students,” the mother said.

A letter from the principal said, “The students, who did not know the drink was tainted, got sick and required medical attention.”

It went on to say, “I want to be clear, the actions of the student who encouraged his classmates to consume the drink was dangerous and will not be tolerated.”

“If you do something criminal, you should be expelled,” the mother said.

The district can’t comment on what punishment the student is facing but the principal said the student could face criminal charges too.

The mother wants more parents to talk to their kids about the ways drugs can be brought on campus.

“I just want to save another child’s life. Another child may not be as fortunate as my son was,” she told Johnson.

IN OTHER NEWS: