Family of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner filing lawsuit against the City of Atlanta

Family of 8-year-old Secoriea Turner filing lawsuit against the City of Atlanta

ATLANTA — The family of an 8-year-old girl killed outside the Wendy’s restaurant where Rayshard Brooks was shot announced plans Monday to sue the City of Atlanta.

Attorneys for the family of Secoriea Turner held a news conference detailing the lawsuit.

Turner was shot and killed July 4 while riding in a car with her mother and a friend. Police said a group of armed men stopped the car at a makeshift barrier on University Avenue and opened fire, hitting the child.

Content Continues Below

The family is demanding justice for their daughter, and for her killer to be held accountable, but they also said the city of Atlanta shares some of the blame.

TRENDING STORIES:

“Who else other than the mayor acting in her specific capacity could direct the police department to stand down in the face of armed vigilantes taking over an area?” attorney Harold Spence said.

Attorney Mawuli Davis said the city’s decision to back off when armed demonstrators took control of part of a city street led to the shooting death of the 8 year-old.

“They knew that there were armed vigilantes blockading a public street and they took no action to rid the citizens of Atlanta of this menace and of this dangerous circumstance and situation. Because of it, Secoriea Turner, an 8 year-old, was murdered,” Davis said. 'We have learned that there were memos sent to the police department, not to provide services in that area."

The lawyers are demanding a $15 million settlement for the family or the suit will be filed.

“They violated their ministry of duty, to provide protection and the health and safety for Secoriea and her family,” attorney Tiffany Hodge said. “Justice delayed is justice denied.”

One arrest has made in Turner’s death. Julian Conley, 19, was charged with aggravated assault and felony murder in July. He has denied that he fired shots into the car but did say he was armed.

Police released photos of at least one other potential suspect, but so far, no one else has been arrested. In August, Turner’s family placed two billboards urging people with information to come forward.

Channel 2 Action News contacted the mayor’s office Monday for a comment on this story. They would only say they have not been served with a lawsuit.

Man charged in 8-year-old Secoriea Turner's death denied bond