Family of 6 displaced after fire starts on front porch and destroys their home

GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. — A Dacula, Georgia family has been displaced after a fire destroyed their home.

Gwinnett Fire and Emergency Services said firefighters responded to the 100 block of River Pass Court NE at 8:14 p.m. after a neighbor called about a house on fire.

When crews got to the house, they found the front porch of the two-story home fully ingulfed in flames.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

When firefighters knocked out a bulk of the flames, crews began checking the inside of the home. They located fire above the garage and in the attic, and extinguished the rest of the fire.

There were three people at home when neighbors alerted them about the fire, according to one of the occupants. They tried to extinguish the fire with a garden hose but the attempt was unsuccessful.

One of the adults in the home was treated for smoke inhalation and taken to a local hospital in stable condition for further evaluation. No other injuries were reported.


The front porch and attic areas had fire damage and there was smoke and water damage throughout the rest of the home.

A total of six family members, including five adults and one child, were displaced due to the damage.

Gwinnett Fire said the home had working smoke alarms, but they did not alert the occupants due to the initial location of the fire.

During the investigation of the fire, camera footage from the front door shows the fire starting in the corner of the front porch next to the garage.

The family advised there was a leaf blower plugged into an extension cord in the corner.

Firefighters at the scene determined the fire was accidental and were unable to rule out electrical as the cause of the fire.

The American Red Cross is providing temporary assistance.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]


Comments on this article