Metro mom rushes 7-year-old son to ER after he swallows AirPod

Metro mom rushes 7-year-old son to ER after he swallows AirPod

DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — A Christmas gift landed a 7-year-old boy in the hospital and his mother wants to warn other parents about it.

Kiara Stroud said her son accidentally swallowed one of his AirPods and she had to rush him to the emergency room.

The AirPod is still in the boy’s stomach.

Content Continues Below

“He said he was holding it in his mouth by the long part,” Stroud said.

Stroud told Channel 2’s Tyisha Fernandes she never imaged one of the wireless earbuds would end up in her son’s stomach.

Stroud showed Fernandes the X-ray that shows the AirPod still in her son’s stomach, just below his rib cage.

“We actually saw it because it has metal in it, so we could see it in the X-ray and I’m like, ‘This boy really swallowed his AirPod!’” Stroud said.

TRENDING STORIES:

The doctor at Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta at Egelston who examined the second-grader told his mother she was confused about what an AirPod is.

“She was like, ‘An AirPod? You know, it’s really unique. I never really heard of this,’ and I’m like, ‘Yeah, it’s a wireless headset,’ and she was just amazed. I've never seen anything like it,” Stroud said.

So the big question that made her son extremely nervous was: how is the AirPod going to come out?

Doctors assured him it would pass on its own and he's going to be fine.

As far as the phone it was connected to when he swallowed it ...

“He was like, ‘Mom. I don’t want my phone,’ because he got a phone for Christmas as well, and he’s like, ‘I don’t want to be near my phone. I don’t want it to connect to my phone and start playing music.’ I’m like, ‘Oh my God.’ He’s a crazy kid,” Stroud said.

Stroud told Fernandes that she's probably just going to stick to the old-fashioned headsets from now on, at least until her son gets a little older.

She hopes this story opens parents’ eyes because she just never thought her son would swallow something like this.