‘Come on, bruh:’ Father tells judge he did nothing wrong after 3-year-old son shoots himself in head

DOUGLASVILLE, Ga. — The father of a 3-year-old boy who shot himself in the head and is now facing several felony charges told a judge he didn’t think he did anything wrong in his first court appearance on Monday.

According to family members, Amir Porter was visiting his father, Devante Porter, at an Intown Suites motel on Saturday moring when he “allegedly got access to a gun and shot himself in the head.”

Channel 2′s Tom Jones talked to the boy’s mother, Ciera Scott, who said that after the shooting, Porter lied to first responders about what happened, telling dispatchers the child hit his head on a mini-fridge at the hotel. Paramedics did not think that story aligned with the child’s injuries and they suspected he had been shot. They found a bullet hole in the ceiling.

Amir remains in critical condition on a ventilator.

On Monday, judge Susan Camp denied bond for Porter and his friend, Jermecia Martin, who was also in the room at the time.

Scott said those lies could have cost her son his life.

“I don’t understand how you could call in with a lie like that,” Scott said. “Don’t y’all think the paramedics would have been there quicker if y’all would have told them my baby got shot?”

Scott said Air is still under sedation.

“But he’s doing a lot of movement and the doctors say those are good signs,” Scott said.

Jones was in court Monday when Porter told a judge that police “didn’t have anything on him” and were not telling the whole story.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

“Come on bruh,” he said at one point and walked away from the podium.


A detective testified that Porter, Martin and another man had been partying all night. The other man was gone when officers arrived. Police said the gun used in the shooting was also gone.

The judge called both Porter and Martin a danger to the community and denied them bond. Both face charges that include tampering with evidence, false statements, reckless conduct, cruelty to children and aggravated assault.

Scott said she has cried so much she doesn’t have any tears left.

“I can’t sit up and be sad,” Scott said. “It’s like God just giving me that strength to be strong for him.”

On Monday, family members shared a GoFundMe with Channel 2 Action News to raise money for Scott.

According to Cherlonda Freeman, Scott’s cousin, she is the sole provider for Amir and works overnight for Pepsi. Co. They are working to raise money so she can focus on her son’s recovery and not worry about money.

So far, the GoFundMe has raised nearly $2,000.

“If you haven’t had the pleasure of meeting Amir personally, his big smile and sweet personality light up an entire room. He’s a complete breath of fresh air. Very smart and loving,” Freeman wrote. “He’s full of energy. A very happy boy. He LOVES his mother, grandparents, aunts, uncles and cousins.”

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

After conducting an interview with Amir’s father, police told Channel 2 Action News on Sunday that they charged the 23-year-old and 29-year-old Jermecia Martin in connection to the incident. The relationship between Porter and Martin is unclear.

Both Porter and Martin were charged with aggravated assault, cruelty to children 2nd degree, reckless conduct, false statements, and tampering with evidence.

You can donate to the GoFundMe HERE.