A heroic 5-year-old was able to save himself, his little sister and his dog from a house fire -- and then alert the rest of the family to get out.
Channel 2′s Wendy Corona was in Bartow County, where a fire broke out at the family of nine’s home in Kingston Sunday morning.
Bartow County Fire and Rescue said the fire started in the children’s room while the family was asleep. Investigators later determined the cause of the fire was electrical.
Corona talked to 5-year-old Noah Wood, who said that as soon as he saw flames beside his bed, he jumped into action.
“I don’t know where the flames came from,” Noah said.
He knew something wasn't right -- and that he had to do something. He shared the room with his 2-year-old sister, Lily.
"I picked Lily up, got to the window with Lily, got the dog and got out," Noah said. "That's it."
After he got his sister and the dog out, he ran upstairs to alert his uncle to help get everyone else out of the house.
“If it wasn’t for Noah, I mean, we were all asleep, so we wouldn’t have known what was going on,” David Wood, Noah’s grandfather, said. “We could’ve all lost our lives.”
Noah only suffered a small burn on his wrist.
"Nobody got hurt," Wood said. "We got smoked up a little bit, but we're all still alive."
The extended family that shares the home did not have insurance, but the community is helping them pool together clothing. Wood is a contractor and hopes to rebuild and get the family back in soon.