2 found dead in home after fire, officials find gas leak in front yard of home

ATLANTA — Two people are dead after a house fire in northwest Atlanta on the 900 block of Bolton Road on Saturday morning.

Fire officials said they responded to the home around 8:38 a.m. after reports of heavy smoke coming from a one-story, single-family home.

After the fire was completely out, fire officials completed a search of the home and found two people dead inside the home.


The first victim was found in the front room on the right side of the home. The second victim was in a front room on the left side of the home.

Atlanta Gas was on the scene and located a gas leak in the front yard of the residence.

Channel 2′s Tom Regan was outside the home Monday, where a neighbor said she and her husband were told to get out of their home by firefighters who were worried the gas leak could spark another fire.

“Everybody on the block had to evacuate because they believed they had a gas leak,” Odeisha Coats said. “We thought it was just a fire, but based on what we’ve seen so far, it seems to be a gas leak that caused an explosion.”

Coats said that one of the victims was an older woman.

“She was very nice. She would go out of her way to say ‘hello’ and say encouraging words to me and my daughter, who is very distraught over the situation because she doesn’t understand what’s going on,” Coats said.

Coats was allowed back in her home Saturday, but his been reluctant to turn on her gas heat.

“Since Saturday, we haven’t turned on our gas, because we are afraid we will be going caboom next,” Coats said.

Atlanta Gas Light released a statement, saying,:

“Our hearts and prayers go out to the family who died in this tragic incident.”

AGL said it is working with the National Transportation Safety Board on the investigation.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]