DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. — A 2-year-old may have been found days after his father was charged with lying to police after saying his son had been kidnapped. The search for J’Asiah Mitchell continues as his family vows to find the child. There is a lot that still needs to be answered in the boy’s disappearance, but here is how the investigation has unfolded so far:
- Aug. 16: J’Asiah Mitchell disappears. Police initially reported that Mitchell’s father, 23-year-old Artavious North, kidnapped him at gunpoint on Wednesday around 11:23 p.m. in the 3300 block of Flat Shoals Road.
- Aug. 17: DeKalb police said they determined there was no kidnapping. According to police, North reported that someone took J’Asiah from him as he was stopped at a stop sign. North was arrested and charged with making a false statement. He was already in jail on an unrelated crime at the time of his arrest.
- Aug. 18: Crews drained a small lake in East Point at the apartment complex where his father lives. They have also searched a nearby landfill. Investigators said J’Asiah was last seen in the same apartment complex in East Point where crews are draining the lake.
- Aug. 20: J’Asiah’s family members searched the apartment complex where they believe the boy was last seen. Family members handed out flyers to residents and posted them all over the apartment complex.
- Aug. 23: Body believed to be J’Asiah Mitchell’s found at East Point garbage facility transfer station. Authorities are working to confirm the body is his.
J’Asiah’s mother, Asia Mitchell, is now raising money to continue the search for him. She and North were not together at the time her son disappeared. To donate to the GoFundMe, CLICK HERE.
Anyone with information regarding his whereabouts is asked to call 911 or 770-724-7850.
©2023 Cox Media Group