Family of 7 searching for new home after deadly Atlanta house fire

ATLANTA — A family of seven is searching for a new home while trying to scrape together the funds to plan a grandfather’s funeral after a deadly house fire in southeast Atlanta Friday night.

Atlanta Fire and Rescue Department said the fire broke out before 8:30 p.m. Friday evening on Carter Avenue. AFRD is investigating to confirm the cause of the fire.

Assistant Chief Greg Gray told Channel 2′s Courtney Francisco live during WSB Tonight onFriday that when his team arrived, the home was engulfed in flames, and a man was trapped inside.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Shurun Burrough told Francisco that man was her uncle, Stephon.

She told Channel 2 that he was in his 60s and lived in the home with her, her daughter and five other family members.

“He loved to have fun, joke around and he was like the life of the party,” said Shurun Burrough.

She said the home they shared used to be his mother’s home and they were all in for the night when the fire started.


“Knowing that my uncle was back there, I kind of just, it’s like the world just stopped,” Shurun Burrough said. “The flames were so big, and they were so strong. It was coming toward the front of the house. It was coming through as if there was just a big fan blowing it through the house.”

She said the fire was like “something out of a horror movie.”

Everyone escaped except Stephon. The family parakeets and car did not make it either.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

The family said the Red Cross has been helpful with about $500 for hotels. However, she is worried that won’t last long enough for everyone to find new housing.

“It’s a lot to cope with. No food as of right now. I’m trying to save the funds from Red Cross just for a shelter over my head. I’m dealing with hotel fees right now,” said Shurun Burrough.

A family friend created a GoFundMe campaign to try to help with funeral expenses, new clothing and household items.