Atlanta BBQ restaurant catches fire near reported gas leak in southwest Atlanta

ATLANTA — Firefighters say a gas leak caused an explosion at a BBQ business in Southwest Atlanta.

The explosion happened on Campbellton Road at Freddy’s BBQ. Luckily, no one was injured.

Channel 2′s Darryn Moore is LIVE on Campbellton road where crews are continuing to repair the road.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Channel 2′s Tom Jones talked to neighbors about the explosion on Monday afternoon.

“I heard a pop about 10 this morning,” said a neighbor who didn’t want to share his name.

He lives near Freddie’s BBQ on Dodson Drive.

He said after he heard that pop, he saw firefighters racing to the business.

Jones saw firefighters continuously dousing the fire with water.

Channel 2 Action News had been reporting on a gas leak on Campbellton and Dodson before the fire. Atlanta Gas Light told us then, that an unrelated contractor damaged a gas line while installing underground fiber cables.

Then the fire erupted at the restaurant.

Firefighters later confirmed the fire and the gas leak were connected.

“It caused an explosion which caused a fire in one of the restaurants,” Atlanta Fire and Rescue Battalion Chief Quincy Watts said.

Firefighters said they were on scene dealing with the gas leak when the explosion happened.

“We had a safe perimeter. So everybody had a safe distance from the building,” Watts explained.

Police blocked off roads while firefighters worked for hours to put the fire out.


Firefighters said they had to evacuate an apartment complex for a couple of hours.

There is still no timeline for when the road will reopen.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]