Georgia deputy shot while confronting kidnapping suspect who shot victim

BANKS COUNTY, Ga. — A Banks County deputy was shot early Tuesday morning, becoming the second Georgia officer shot in the line of duty in less than 24 hours.

The Sheriff’s Office said deputies spotted a suspicious vehicle at the Super 8 Motel in Banks Crossing. Deputies identified a person of interest in an out-of-state kidnapping.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

When deputies confronted the suspect, he shot his female victim and then exchanged gunfire with deputies.

A Banks County deputy was shot in the hand and vest. The suspect was shot multiple times and taken to the hospital. The female victim was also taken to the hospital.

The Vance County Sheriff’s Office in North Carolina said that on Monday, they responded to reports of a break in a Hendersonville. Deputies confirmed that Robert Brodie Jr. forced himself into the home with a gun and kidnapped Ann Joyner. Vance County is just over the Georgia/North Carolina line.


Brodie forced Joyner into a car and sped away.

The information about the kidnapping and the vehicle Brodie was driving was entered into local, state and national databases.

Early Tuesday morning, deputies in Banks County spotted Brodie’s car and confronted him.

Brodie and Joyner’s conditions have not been released. Brodie will be charged with first degree breaking and entering, first-degree kidnapping and possession of a firearm during the commission of a felony.

The deputy’s identity has not been released, but officers said that his injuries are not life-threatening.

The Georgia Bureau of Investigation has taken over the case.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

This is the second Georgia officer shot in the past 24 hours. An Atlanta police officer was shot Monday afternoon while attempting to serve a warrant on murder charges.

That officer was seriously injured but was stable and talking to fellow officers and family Monday night.

The accused shooter, Christian Eppinger, was taken into custody and is expected to face a judge Tuesday morning.