ATLANTA — As the Atlanta Braves prepare to travel to Houston for Game 1 of the World Series against the Astros, that got us thinking about what life was like back in 1999 – the last time we made it to the World Series.
It was the 95th World Series, the New York Yankees vs. the Braves. And although the series didn’t have the outcome we would’ve wanted, it was still a series that no one could forget.
[World Series schedule: Here’s when the Atlanta Braves will play Houston Astros]
The Braves had a stellar line-up featuring Greg Maddox, Tom Glavine and Chipper Jones and Bobby Cox at the helm. The Yankees had Derek Jeter, Andy Pettitte, Mariano Rivera and were coached by Joe Torre.
Here’s a look at what Atlanta was like in 1999:
- Ted Turner was the owner of the Braves.
- President Bill Clinton was acquitted in impeachment proceedings in the U.S. Senate for lying under oath and obstruction of justice over his relationship with Monica Lewinsky.
- Atlanta was rocked by a horrific shooting spree that left 12 people dead in two office buildings and an apartment. Mark Barton was the lone shooter and later killed himself. “We ask all of the people of Atlanta to pray for the families of those who have been killed and wounded,” Campbell said.
- ‘Shakespeare in Love’ won the Academy Award for best picture.
- Bill Gates became the richest person in the world with $100 billion.
- Two students, Eric Harris and Dylan Klebold, opened fire on their teachers and classmates at Columbine High School in Littleton, Colorado, killing 12 students and 1 teacher, and then themselves.
- Napster, the music file-sharing service, debuted on the Internet and helped change the music business.
- The Backstreet Boy’s Millennium album was Billboard’s top album for 1999.
- A plane carrying John F. Kennedy Jr., his wife Carolyn Bessette and her sister crashed off the coast of Martha’s Vineyard, killing everyone on board.
- “It’s just a special moment”: The Braves react to their thrilling NLCS win
- How much are tickets to the World Series? It’s going to cost you.
- Braves win NL pennant, heading to 1st World Series in 22 years
- PHOTOS: Braves defeat Dodgers in NLCS, heading to World Series
©2021 Cox Media Group