ATHENS, Ga. — The University of Georgia announced Wednesday it will allow fans 21 or older to purchase beer or hard seltzer at both men’s and women’s basketball games during the 2021-22 season.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
The school’s athletic association said the pilot program is being done to help improve the fan experience by expanding options at the Stegman Coliseum concession stands. The move makes Georgia the 11th Southeastern Conference school to permit the sale of alcohol at athletic venues.
The school said it will be offering a mix of domestic, import and craft beers along with hard seltzer to fans 21 or older at designated stands sprinkled through the coliseum. The school also said anyone partaking in the beverages will be subject to their “Drinking Responsibly” guidelines and fan management protocols.
- Astros beat the Braves in Game 2, World Series heads to Atlanta
- Mother of man shot 76 times speaks out after 2 officers indicted
- Want to be a partial owner of the Braves? It’s easier than you think.
The guidelines according to the school include:
- Alcoholic beverages are only available to fans age 21 and older with a valid government issued ID
- ID checks will be required at all points of sale with a limit of two drinks per transaction, per person
- Sales begin when gates open at the Coliseum, one hour before the game start time
- Sales will end at the 12:00 media timeout in the second half of men’s games and at the end of the third quarter for women’s games.
- All beverages are to be served in cups
- All concession employees will be required to be certified in an accredited alcohol service program with the concessionaire providing an alcohol compliance supervisor at the arena
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
The men’s basketball team begins their 2021-22 season with an exhibition game Nov. 5 against Morehouse at Stegman Coliseum. The women begin their season Nov. 11 with a game against Gardner-Webb.
©2021 Cox Media Group