The death Thursday of the cinematographer in Alec Baldwin’s movie “Rust” is one of many accidents that have happened during the filming of movies and television series.
Halyna Hutchins, was killed, and the film’s director Joel Souza injured when Baldwin, who is starring in and producing the film, fired a prop gun.
It is not known exactly what happened during the filming of the scene. The incident is still under investigation, according to law enforcement officials.
Here are some other incidents of accidents and deaths on the sets of movies and television shows:
· The Wizard of Oz (1939) Margaret Hamilton, who played the Wicked Witch of the West, was badly burned in a scene in “Munchkinland” where she was to disappear in a swirl of flame and smoke. Hamilton suffered second-degree burns on her face and third-degree burns on her right hand when the pyrotechnic device went off too soon.
· They Died with Their Boots On (1941) Three extras died during a scene of the calvary charge. One, Jack Budlong, fell on the sword he threw to the side when his horse tripped. The sword landed blade up, and Budlong was impaled. He later died at a hospital.
· How the West Was Won (1962) Stuntman Bob Morgan ended up losing a leg when chains holding logs on a train used in a fight scene broke and the logs crushed him.
· The War Lover (1962) In a scene where parachutists jumped from a vintage B-17 to simulate a bail-out, one of the jumpers, Mike Reilly, drowned when he went into the English Channel.
· You Only Live Twice (1967) Cameraman John Jordan, who was standing on the landing strut of a camera helicopter, was struck in the foot by the helicopter’s blade. He eventually had to have his foot amputated. A few years later, he was killed while filming the movie “Catch-22.”
· Shark! (1969) A stuntman was mauled to death when a shark that was supposed to have been sedated, suddenly attacked. The shark managed to get to the stuntman, Jose Marco, despite protective netting.
· The Godfather (1972) Actor Gianni Russo, who played character Connie Corleone’s husband, broke two ribs and cracked his elbow during a fight scene with actor James Caan. Caan threw him over a fence and slammed him with a garbage can during the scene.
· The Exorcist (1973) Linda Blair suffered a spinal fracture during the filming of a scene where her character levitates.
· CHiPs (1979) Actor Erik Estrada lost control of his motorcycle while filming a scene for the TV show and landed on a parked car before the motorcycle he was riding landed on him. Estrada fractured ribs, partially collapsed his lungs, fractured his right wrist, and cracked his sternum and collarbone.
· The Right Stuff (1983) Stuntman Joseph Leonard Svec died while performing a parachute jump, recreating one that Chuck Yeager made when he ejected during a test flight.
· Scarface (1983) Al Pacino burned his hand when he grabbed the barrel of a prop gun that had been fired.
· Twilight Zone: The Movie (1983) Actor Vic Morrow and two children — Myca Dinh Le and Renee Shin-Yi Chen — were killed when a helicopter crashed into them during production. The tail rotor decapitated Morrow and Le and crushed Chen to death.
· Cover Up (1984) Actor Jon-Erik Hexum shot himself in the head playing with a handgun loaded with a blank. The gunshot fractured his skull, driving bone fragments into his brain. He died at the hospital.
· Pepsi commercial (1984) Singer Michael Jackson’s hair caught fire during the filming of a Pepsi commercial. Jackson suffered second and third degree burns to his scalp and body.
· Police Story (1985) Actor Jackie Chan suffered third-degree burns on his hands, nearly broke the seventh and eighth vertebrae on his spine, dislocated his pelvis and was nearly paralyzed while filming a scene for the movie.
· Rocky IV (1985) Actor Dolph Lundgren punched Sylvester Stallone in the chest, causing his heart to swell. Stallone was in intensive care for eight days.
· Die Hard (1988) After he fired a prop gun loaded with blanks, Bruce Willis lost two-thirds of his hearing.
· The Crow (1993) Brandon Lee — actor and son of Bruce Lee — was accidentally shot and killed with a handgun that was intended to fire blanks but contained a bullet instead.
· Friends (1994) Matt LeBlanc tripped over a coffee table and hit a chair he was supposed to be jumping onto in a scene, dislocating his shoulder.
· The Passion of the Christ (2004) While portraying Jesus Christ, actor Jim Caviezel sustained gashes to his back from multiple whippings, hypothermia, a separated shoulder from carrying a giant cross and was hit by lightning before filming a scene that depicted the Sermon of the Mount.
· Ocean’s Deadliest (2006) Conservationist Steve Irwin was hit in the chest by the spine of a stingray while snorkeling at the Great Barrier Reef. The stingray’s tail pierced Irwin’s heart and he died.
· 63rd Tony Awards (2009) Bret Michaels was struck in the head by a piece of a set as he finished performing with his band. The accident broke Michaels’ nose and split his lip. A year later, he had a brain hemorrhage.
· Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows (2010/2011) David Holmes, star Daniel Radcliffe’s stunt double, was paralyzed after suffering a spinal cord injury.
· The Good Wife (2012) Actress Kristin Chenoweth was hit with a piece of lighting, fracturing her skull, nose, spine and several ribs and cracking her teeth.
· Cops (2014) Audio technician Bryce Dion was shot and killed by Omaha police while the show was filming a shooting incident at a Wendy’s.
· Star Wars: The Force Awakens (2015) Actor Harrison Ford fractured a bone in his leg while filming when a hydraulic door fell on him. The movie’s director, J. J. Abrams, injured his back trying to get the hydraulic door off Ford.
©2021 Cox Media Group