SANDY SPRINGS, Ga — Holiday shopping is now in full swing, and some of those packages you ordered on Cyber Monday should be arriving soon. However, police say that thieves are fully aware.
Channel 2′s Steve Gehlbach spoke with Sandy Springs police on Thursday who want to make sure you get what you ordered.
“After Thanksgiving and into December, we definitely see more of this type of criminal activity because it’s easy pickings,” Sgt. Matt McGinnis said.
Sandy Springs police put out an alert to residents this week.
Police say some are crimes of opportunity where someone just sees a box, have no idea what it is, and grab and go. However, police have seen more organized thefts where delivery trucks are followed.
“Ring cameras and things like that are definitely a deterrent. But the best thing you can do is have someone there to receive the package. if you can’t receive it yourself, have it delivered somewhere like a P.O. box, neighbor or even at your job,” McGinnis said. “If you’re going to be gone for a long time, don’t just leave packages on your front porch because they might just get stolen.”
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Sandy Springs Police Department listed the following tips to ensure you don’t get holiday gifts and packages stolen off your doorstep:
- Track your packages and be at home for delivery.
- Request a signature when a package is delivered.
- Ask a neighbor to pick up your packages.
- Request that your package be held at a local facility of the shipping service.
- Use Amazon Locker for packages under 10 pounds (there is one at Whole Foods in Sandy Springs).
- Have packages delivered to your workplace.
- Install a package lockbox.
- Truck falls over the side of busy Atlanta interstate
- Texts reveal why high school football star was shot and killed outside Gwinnett Dave & Buster’s
- Public asked not to approach inmate who vanished from work site in Marietta
Police say to call 911 immediately if you see a theft in progress or a suspicious vehicle following a delivery truck.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group