Mother and daughter found dead after house fire caused by heat lamp, officials say

TROUP COUNTY, Ga — Two women are dead after an accidental house fire was caused by a heat lamp, according to the Troup County Fire Department.

Fire officials say they arrived at a home in LaGrange at around 12:06 a.m. Crews found Elizabeth “Beth” McDonald, 80, and her daughter Elizabeth “Libby” McDonald, 58, both dead.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

The women weren’t found inside the home until after firefighters put out the flames.

Investigators say the fire was accidentally caused due to faulty heat lamps. Troup County Coroner Erin Hackley determined each woman’s time of death to be approximately 2:32 a.m. on Saturday.


Officials confirmed that the women would undergo autopsies at the Georgia Bureau of Investigation’s main office in Decatur.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]