HENRY COUNTY, Ga — Officials identified a AT&T worker who was electrocuted after his truck came into contact with power lines, setting off a massive fire that left people in a nearby mobile home community without power.
Channel 2′s Tom Jones spoke with Henry County residents on Wednesday who recounted the incident that left 44-year-old James Suttles dead.
The Henry County fire marshal said Suttles was trying to stow the bucket in the bed of his work truck around noon Tuesday at the mobile home park on Clark Drive.
The neighbors say it sounded like a bomb went off. They say his work truck then exploded.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
“The truck was on fire. The telephone and the wire was on fire, dripping fire,” Ashley Key said.
Maintenance worker Justin Smith said he heard a loud boom and raced to the scene.
Smith said he quickly knew it wasn’t good for Suttles.
“Just a big boom. Sounded like a bomb going off,” Smith said.
- Robber forces his way into elderly woman’s home, steals bank cards and ties her up, police say
- Officials warn visitors at popular Georgia beach after 300 jellyfish stings in single day
- Interim director of Senate Research Office facing child porn charges
Khalil Darden said he heard a loud bang and saw firefighters and paramedics.
That’s when he noticed the AT&T truck.
“The rear axle of the truck was all in flames,” Darden said. “No one expects to go to work and not make it home.”
Suttles worked for the company for 24 years.
AT&T sent Channel 2 Action News a statement that said it is saddened to learn of the worker’s passing and that its thoughts are with his family, friends and colleagues.
Police are continuing to investigate this incident.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group