FAYETTE COUNTY, Ga. — The controversial car show on rapper Rick Ross’ Fayette County estate ended Saturday with no major issues, according to Fayette County Sheriff Barry Babb.
He estimated more than 6,000 people attended.
Paul Yancey was one of those who came with cars from his auto shop in Fayetteville. He attended the event last year.
“It was better. Very organized. Of course, he always puts on a great show. He’s a great promotor, and we’re really enjoying ourselves,” said Yancey.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Buses with police escorts shuttled thousands through traffic on the two-lane highway that leads up to Ross’ property.
“Everything has run very well considering the amount of people and the small traffic ways we have here, and it’s because he hired a good team,” Sheriff Babb said.
Last year, Sheriff Babb said the event lacked coordination with the county, leaving neighbors frustrated with traffic and people parking on roadsides.
“This year, they started putting a lot of plans in place, listened to us, we listened to them,” said Babb.
People were shuttled from nearby shopping centers, and police stopped traffic for people who live in nearby communities so they could move more freely.
Babb said medics had no trouble getting in and out.
Some neighbors said that was very helpful and praised police and the Rick Ross team for doing as promised.
- Preparations underway for Rick Ross’ annual Fayette County car show
- Truck heading into Rick Ross’ estate ahead of controversial car show knocks out neighborhood’s power
- Rapper Rick Ross’ car show permit approved by county after backlash
- County officials say Rick Ross can’t have his car show, he says he’s going to anyway
- ‘The show will go on:’ Rapper Rick Ross says car show will happen; county says permit still denied
“We can get our medical equipment through here. I think it’s been good for the community as far as law enforcement because we’re getting to work together like we’ve never worked before. So, it’s a good team-building exercise for public safety. Not just law enforcement but fire and rescue as well,” said Babb.
Three people required medical attention, including one who was injured after the wind picked up a tent, but there were no major injuries.
“See, this is actually monumental because it actually puts a plan in place for years to come,” said Major Marcus Dennard with the South Fulton Police Department.
The event ended around 6:00 pm. By 9:30 pm, neighbors watching traffic move out voiced concern.
Channel 2 Action News has been showing you for weeks all of the efforts by neighbors to keep the event from happening.
“I don’t care if it went smoothly,” said neighbor John E. Jones. “This community is no place for a commercial event of this size and magnitude.”
He said the event is more suitable for Atlanta Motor Speedway.
He said he and others plan to be at the next Fayette County Commissioner meeting to try to stop it from happening again.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN RELATED NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group