PEACHTREE CITY, Ga — A Walmart in Peachtree City reopened for the first time Wednesday in four months after a fire forced the store to close.
A video on Aug 24. showed customers running out of the store, trying to escape the flames.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Channel 2′s Bryan Mims was in Fayette County at the store’s reopening ceremony on Channel 2 Action News This Morning. Shoppers, Peachtree City Mayor Kim Leonard and Walmart officials were all excited to be back in the store.
Within a week of the fire, a 14-year-old girl was charged with arson. Police say she confessed to using a lighter to set a piece of paper on fire. Tips and surveillance video led them to the teen.
- Part of roof collapses, 3 officers injured after fire inside Peachtree City Walmart
- ‘Everybody out!’ Body camera footage shows officers searching for customers during Walmart fire
- 14-year-old girl arrested for fire set inside metro Walmart, police say
- Peachtree City Walmart announces opening of mobile pharmacy after fire set inside store last month
- Walmart set to reopen 4 months after teen fire inside Peachtree City store
The store’s closure was a big loss for this community, and locals are excited to see it back open.
Local shoppers say this Walmart is an integral part of Peachtree City.
“I have family who works there. I have friends who work there. It is a pretty huge part of this community,” one shopper said. “It is kind of the teenage spot. if you didn’t have anywhere else to go, you go to the Walmart.”
The store is only partially reopened as not all sections of the store are ready to be opened.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
©2022 Cox Media Group