ATLANTA — On your way to work or school today, you may find yourself taking a second look at some messages on those big digital signs over the interstates.
The Georgia Department of Transportation is using them to get their point across about safety.
The department held a contest on social media for the public to come up with the postings. On Thursday, GDOT announced the winners.
You’ll see messages like: "Driving half lit is not very bright," or "No one wants to see traffic on Snapchat, Brenda."
The signs, which are used primarily to alert drivers to crashes or lane closures, often carry safety reminders in the absence of more urgent messaging.
Contest judges considered hundreds of submissions in five categories: general safety, distracted driving, impaired driving, seatbelt use, and work zone safety. Some of the submissions from entrants were intended for seasonal use; most can be used year-round. The winning contributors have been contacted by GDOT, and winners could their messages on the boards on the roads today.
Here are the winning messages:
- First Place: IF YOU MISS YOUR EXIT ITS OKAY, WE MADE MORE UP AHEAD
- Second Place: BETTER LATE THAN NEVER
- Third Place (tie): DRIVE LIKE YOUR MOMMA IS WATCHIN'; YOU ARE ALLOWED TO USE TURN SIGNALS, WE CHECKED and DRIVE SAFELY OR WE CALL YOUR MOTHER
- First Place (tie): YOU LOOK GREAT BUT THE SELFIE CAN WAIT and LOOKING AT THE ROAD IS A GREAT WAY TO STAY ON IT
- Second Place: NO ONE WANTS TO SEE TRAFFIC ON SNAPCHAT, BRENDA
- Third Place: POP QUIZ, WHAT IS THE SPEED LIMIT ON THIS ROAD?
Impaired Driving (many of the messages submitted were seasonal and can be used during the holidays):
- First Place :DRIVING HALF LIT IS NOT VERY BRIGHT
- Second Place: DON'T SPEND THE NEW YEAR IN JAIL, PARTY RESPONSIBLY
- Third Place (tie): DON'T BE A TURKEY AND DRIVE BASTED, and THE PARTY SHOULD BE LIT NOT YOU, BRING IN THE NEW YEAR SAFE
- First Place (tie): THIS IS A SIGN YOU SHOULD BUCKLE UP and IF YOU DON'T WEAR A SEATBELT, PLEASE BE AN ORGAN DONOR
- Second Place: WEARING A SEATBELT MAKES YOU LOOK THINNER
- Third Place (tie): HERE IS THE TEA SIS, WE CAN SEE YOU SO BUCKLE UP and SEATBELTS ARE IN, EVERYBODY IS WEARING THEM
Work Zone Safety:
- First Place:LOOK LEFT, LOOK RIGHT, KEEP WORKERS IN SIGHT
- Second Place: WORK ZONE, SLOW DOWN, WORKERS HAVE FAMILIES THAT WANT THEM AROUND
- Third Place (tie): WORK ZONES MATTER SO DO THE PEOPLE IN THEM, and AVOID DESTRUCTION MIND THE CONSTRUCTION
© 2020 Cox Media Group