Although tragedy brought the two together, the unlikely friendship between the once-Southern University wide-receiver and a former University of Georgia kicker is now one of love.
Former wide-receiver Devon Gales was paralyzed in September 2015 after taking a hit during a football game against Marshall Morgan. On the play, Gales ended up fracturing his C6 vertebrae and has been confined since to a wheelchair.
Over the weekend, Morgan married his fiancée Madison Giddens. Both Gales and his mother, Tanisha Deans-Gales, were there.
- Devon Gales flooded out of home in Baton Rouge
- Devon Gales & family overwhelmed by gift of new house
- Football player injured in UGA game reaches major milestone in recovery
- Injured Southern University player making strides to walk again
- Paralyzed Southern University football player able to move hips again
"I am so glad that they saw fit to have us share this precious moment with them,” Deans-Gales said.
Gales’ story and comeback has been incredibly inspiring to so many -- and this is just one of those moments.
In February, the University of Georgia announced that it was starting a fundraiser to help build Gales and his family a home. Former UGA tight end Benjamin Watson has donated over $10,000 to the cause.
© 2020 Cox Media Group