GEORGIA — GEORGIA — Here’s a roundup of what’s happening so far today, April 18: (Click here for the previous day)
Watch Channel 2 Action News for LIVE hour-by-hour updates. Get extended coverage on the free WSB Now app on your Roku, Amazon Fire and Apple TV.
[SPECIAL SECTION --> Latest on coronavirus in Georgia and around the world]
- There are now 17,841 confirmed cases of coronavirus with 677 deaths in Georgia, according to new data released Saturday at 7 p.m. At least 3,447 cases have required hospitalization. This is all according to data from the Georgia Department of Public Health.
- The Georgia World Congress Center alternate care facility is up and running. It’s being used for acute COVID-19 patients who are non-emergency but can’t go home to recover.
- Contamination at an Atlanta CDC laboratory may have caused a delay in producing a test kit for detecting coronavirus, officials said Saturday.
- Holding pictures of their late loved ones, family members and several lawmakers rallied near the Arbor Terrace at Cascade on Friday. The facility confirmed that 15 residents have now died of the coronavirus at the assisted living facility in southwest Atlanta.
- The University of Georgia has rescheduled spring graduation for October.
- It is an offseason victory for the Georgia Bulldogs that Jeremy Klawsky, a member of their football staff, is out of the hospital after spending weeks on a ventilator battling coronavirus. Channel 2’s Tony Thomas learned about the huge celebration that included Bulldogs head coach Kirby Smart.
- On Friday night, skywriters painted hearts over several metro Atlanta hospitals.
© 2020 Cox Media Group