COBB COUNTY, Ga. — A 19-year-old has been charged with a hit-and-run that left a 6-year-old boy and a 30-year-old man in Marietta fighting for their lives.
Marietta police said the hit-and-run crash happened shortly after 9 p.m. on Friday, along Chert Road between Roswell Road and Gresham Road.
Investigators say the man and boy were walking alongside Chert Road when they were struck from behind by what investigators believe was a 2009-2013 Toyota Corolla.
The victims were taken to Wellstar Kennestone Hospital and Children’s Healthcare of Atlanta for treatment.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Police found the car at 6 p.m. on Saturday evening and identified the driver as 19-year-old Horacio Lopez-Vail.
Lopez-Vail was arrested and charged with
- Two counts of serious injury by vehicle
- Two counts of felony hit and run
- Two counts of failure to maintain lane
- Driving on the wrong side of the road
- Duty to report striking a fixed object
- Tampering with evidence
- No license
- Reckless driving
- Atlanta split on future of horse carriages in city, as new legislation awaits
- Channel 2 questions Fulton detention officer moments after arrest for smuggling contraband to inmate
- Former Atlanta Braves World Series Champion dead at 58
Police did not release the names of the two people who were hit and say they are continuing to investigate.
Lopez-Vail is currently being held in the Cobb County Detention Center.
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]
IN OTHER NEWS:
©2022 Cox Media Group