At least 12 people shot, 1 killed in violent 24 hours in metro Atlanta

ATLANTA — At least 12 people have been shot in metro Atlanta over the last 24 hours, leaving at least one person dead.

The violence started around 5:30, when a man with a knife was shot by an off-duty Georgia State Patrol officer at a Grant Park gas station. Witnesses told the trooper the man was attacking a customer inside the store. The fight spilled outside, where the trooper told the man to drop the knife. When he refused to comply, the trooper shot the suspect, who was taken to Grady Memorial hospital and remains in critical condition.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Just blocks away, around 8 p.m., police responded to reports of a man shot at the intersection of Memorial Drive and Moreland Avenue. Police found a man dead at the scene. Police said the shooting happened after a fight over a car. A man was taken into custody for questioning.

Around 2 a.m., police responded to reports of a person shot on Hank Aaron Drive. Officers found a woman with a gunshot wound who was taken to the hospital. Officers also learned that two other men with gunshot wounds took themselves to the hospital. The investigation revealed that a drug deal was taking place between two of the victims when someone else shot at them. Police said all three victims are stable and there is no suspect information to release.


At 2:37 a.m., police responded to reports of a fight near the Gold Club on Piedmont Road. One man had a gunshot wound to the torso and was taken to the hospital. Police said he was involved in a fight inside a club, where he was shot. Witnesses were unable to identify a suspect.

At 4:31 a.m., police were called the Blue Flame Lounge on Harwell road after three men were shot. All the victims were taken to the hospital and all three were stable. Witnesses said a car drove up in front of the club and fired several shots. Investigators are still working to determine the circumstances of the shooting.

At 6:45 a.m., officers responded to a scene where three people were shot on Peeples Street. Two of the victims were stable and one was in serious condition. All three victims were taken to the hospital. Police said it appeared that multiple shots were fired into the home.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Comments on this article