Landlord terminates Loca Luna’s lease after shooting breaks out

ATLANTA — Popular midtown restaurant Loca Luna’s lease has been terminated after a shooting broke out Sunday night.

The gunfire sent people screaming and running through the parking lot. Video of the scary scene quickly circulated on social media.

Two cars were damaged in the shootings, but no people were injured, according to investigators.

[RELATED: Play-by-Play: Here’s what happened at Loca Luna, according to the police report]

Later, at around 10:40 p.m., Atlanta police were dispatched to a call of a person shot at a gas station just down the road. They found a person with a gunshot wound to the leg. The victim has not been identified, but was taken to the hospital with non-life-threatening injuries.

Investigators learned that the two incidents were connected. They say the incident started in the restaurant parking lot and somehow spilled over to the nearby gas station.

On Monday, the owners of the building that houses Loca Luna terminated the restaurant’s lease agreement, effective immediately.


Halpern Enterprises Inc., which owns the Amsterdam Walk complex, issued a statement saying,

“The safety and well-being of our patrons and tenants is our top priority at Halpern Enterprises. We strive to be a positive force in each community where we conduct business. We have worked with the owners of Loca Luna in good faith regarding prior incidences at their restaurant. Unfortunately, the unlawful activity has continued. Effective 1/24/2022, per our rights within the agreement, Halpern Enterprises has terminated the lease with Loca Luna at Amsterdam Walk. Loca Luna’s owners have agreed to cease operations and remove their possessions.”

As of Tuesday morning, the restaurant had not commented publicly on the lease termination.

The restaurant is known for its tapas menu and late night Latin music and DJ sets.

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

This is the second time a person has been shot in front of the restaurant in three months.

Police investigated a deadly shooting in the parking lot in October.

Investigators said a 21-year-old man was shot and killed during an argument in the parking lot. The restaurant was closed at the time.

Police made an arrest in November.