2-Alarm fire chases diners out of Chops Lobster Bar Friday night

ATLANTA — A fire that started inside a hood vent sent diners and restaurant staff out into the cold Friday night during dinner service.

[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]

Atlanta Fire and Rescue investigators told Channel 2′s Michele Newell the fire started around 10 p.m. and damaged the inside of the popular restaurant enough that it will be closed at least through the day on Saturday. Firefighters said the fire was serious enough that they had to call a second alarm to help extinguish it.

Everyone inside the restaurant was able to get out quickly and safely and nobody was injured in the incident.


Alina Stewart was inside the restaurant’s “Garden Room” when smoke started pouring in. She told Newell it didn’t take long to realize something was wrong.

We started to leave and started to smell smoke,” Stewart said. “We could see it at one point. That’s when we knew it was a problem. and then the alarm started going off.”

[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]

Stewart had to wait for two hours while standing outside as firefighters did their work. She had parked her car along the street in front of the restaurant and it was stuck underneath a ladder. The car was not damaged and she eventually made her way home.

Comments on this article