ATLANTA, GA — The Georgia Department of Public Health issued a warning Monday about the use Chlorine Dioxide by COVID-19 patients.
The warning comes after officials received several reports that people are using diluted products containing chlorine dioxide.
Chlorine dioxide products are marked under names including; MSS, Miracle Mineral Solution, Master Mineral Solution, Water Purification Solution, CDS, Aqueous Chlorine Dioxide, and others.
“Chlorine dioxide are the active ingredients in disinfectants and have additional industrial uses. They are not meant to be swallowed by people” according to a news release.
The release also cites that ingesting chlorine dioxide products can lead to:
• Respiratory failure
• Potentially fatal abnormal heart rhythms
• Life-threatening low blood pressure caused by dehydration
• Acute liver failure
• Low blood cell counts
• Severe vomiting
• Severe diarrhea
For more information or if you or someone you know has ingested chlorine dioxide, call the Georgia Poison Center Hotline at 1-800-222-1222.
© 2020 Cox Media Group