Flexible jobs are more popular than ever in the work world. And many of the roles aren’t the same old call center positions, but emerging jobs that are poised for growth.
Not only are more employers open to flexible schedules, but work-from-home jobs in emerging fields are huge right now.
Report: You Can Do These Emerging Jobs From Home
Using LinkedIn data, FlexJobs identified the top jobs that have emerged over the last five years, as well as the skills associated with them “and insights into the industries and cities hiring this emerging workforce,” says Guy Berger, principal economist at LinkedIn.
Here are some key findings from the report:
- More than 50% of this year's list is comprised of jobs related to engineering or development
- Emerging fields like artificial intelligence, behavioral health and data science roles are trending upward
Let’s take a look at 10 emerging jobs that offer flexibility for workers in 2020:
1. Artificial Intelligence Specialist
This role involves machine learning and skills like natural language processing. LinkedIn says this role has grown 74% in the past four years. Top industries include IT, higher education and consumer electronics.
- Average salary: $121,000
- Where the jobs are: San Francisco area, New York, Boston, Seattle, Los Angeles
2. Robotics Engineer
The robotics engineer role is a top emerging field that involves computer programming and process automation that could center on hardware or software.
- Average salary: $81,553
- Where the jobs are: San Francisco area, Atlanta, New York, Washington, D.C., Boston
3. Data Scientist
This role involves machine learning, statistics and related fields. Top industries include IT, financial services and higher education.
- Average salary: $95,998
- Where the jobs are: San Francisco area, New York, Washington, D.C., Boston, Seattle
4. Full Stack Engineer
- Average salary: $93,894
- Where the jobs are: New York, Los Angeles, Boston, San Francisco area, Washington, D.C.
5. Site Reliability Engineer
This role deals with development and operational processes as well as conducting post-incident reviews.
- Average salary: $117,133
- Where the jobs are: Washington, D.C., Boston, Seattle, San Francisco area
6. Customer Success Specialist
About 72% of these roles are in the software and IT industry, according to LinkedIn. Customer success specialists deal with customer retention, sales and related tasks.
- Average salary: $41,275
- Where the jobs are: Washington, D.C., Chicago, Boston, San Francisco area, New York
7. Sales Development Representative
The continued growth of technology-related fields has made sales development representative a top emerging job, LinkedIn says. The role involves sales communication via phone, email and chat.
- Average salary: $43,621
- Where the jobs are: Austin, Chicago, Boston, New York, San Francisco area
8. Data Engineer
Data engineers build computer infrastructure — from developing algorithms to complex code — for companies.
- Average salary: $91,695
- Where the jobs are: Chicago, Boston, Seattle, New York, San Francisco area
9. Behavioral Health Technician
This role involves working with children in school settings as well as other people with behavioral disorders.
- Average salary: $31,635
- Where the jobs are: Miami-Fort Lauderdale, Orlando, Phoenix, Seattle, San Francisco area
10. Cyber Security Specialist
Cyber security specialists help implement safety measures and protocols to protect computer networks.
- Average salary: $75,871
- Where the jobs are: Denver, Chicago, San Francisco area, New York, Washington, D.C.
If you want to find more opportunities for flexible employment, check out our Work From Home Guide.
More Clark.com Job Search Resources:
- Best Resume Template: 9 Ways to Update Your Resume
- 7 Fast-Growing Careers for Remote Jobs
- 25 Best LinkedIn Profile Tips and Tricks