A Georgia Tech legend and former Falcon defender are one step closer to adding Pro Football Hall of Famer to their resumes.
Calvin Johnson and Clay Matthews, Jr. were named among the 15 finalists for the hall’s Class of 2021. Voting on the inductees will be conducted later this month, with the class announced during Super Bowl week.
This is the first year of eligibility for Johnson, who grew up in Tyrone, Georgia and attended Sandy Creek High School.
Matthews, whose family is NFL royalty, is known mainly for his time in Cleveland. However, the linebacker finished his career with the Atlanta Falcons.
[DOWNLOAD: Free WSB-TV News app for alerts as news breaks]
Here are the 13 other finalists.
- Jared Allen, Chiefs, Vikings, Bears and Panthers defensive end
- Ronde Barber, Buccaneers defensive end
- Tony Boselli, Jaguars and Texans tackle
- LeRoy Butler, Packers safety
- Alan Faneca, Steelers, Jets and Cardinals guard
- Torry Holt, Rams and Jaguars wide receiver
- John Lynch, Buccaneers and Broncos safety
- Peyton Manning, Colts and Broncos quarterback
- Sam Mills, Saints and Panthers linebacker
- Richard Seymour, New England Patriots and Raiders defensive tackle
- Zach Thomas, Dolphins and Cowboys linebacker
- Reggie Wayne, Colts wide receiver
- Charles Woodson, Raiders and Packers defensive back
[SIGN UP: WSB-TV Daily Headlines Newsletter]