RIYADH — A court in Saudi Arabia on Monday sentenced five unnamed people to death for the murder of journalist Jamal Khashoggi last year, according to Saudi Public Prosecutor Shalaan al-Shalaan.
Khashoggi, a U.S. resident and critic of the Saudi government, was last seen at the Saudi consulate in Istanbul, Turkey, on Oct. 2, 2018, the newspaper reported. His body was reportedly dismembered and removed from the building, the Times reported. His remains have not been found, according to the newspaper.
Special Rapporteur Agnes Callamard called for the crown prince to be investigated for the killing, the BBC reported. The crown prince has denied any involvement, but said two months ago that as Saudi Arabia’s leader, he took full responsibility for Khashoggi’s death, the network reported.
Khashoggi’s murder caused consternation worldwide, and some Western governments said they believed the crown prince ordered the journalist’s killing, the Times reported.
© 2020 © 2019 Cox Media Group