FAIRBAULT, Minn. — Fairbault Foods Inc. is recalling certain cans of S&W and O Organic brand organic black and chili beans distributed nationwide because the cans may have compromised seals that could lead to botulism poisoning.
All of the affected products were distributed between February and April and include:
• S&W Organic Black Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Jan. 31, 2023; lot code: 1329A 032 21
• S&W Organic Black Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Feb. 1, 2023; lot code: 1329A 033 21
• S&W Organic Black Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Feb. 2, 2023; lot code: 1329A 034 21
• S&W Organic Black Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Feb. 3, 2023; lot code: 1329A 035 21
• O Organic Organic Black Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Feb. 3, 2023; lot code: 981A 035 21
• O Organic Organic Chili Beans, 15 oz.: Best by Feb. 4, 2023; lot code: 978A 036 21
A compromised hermetic seal may affect the can’s integrity, leading to leaks, bloating and the growth of certain bacteria, such as Clostridium botulinum, inside the product, the recall stated.
The recalled products were distributed to retail stores across the nation, but no illnesses linked to potentially compromised cans have been confirmed to date.
Consumer complaints regarding hermetic seal failures prompted the recall, the notice stated.
According to the U.S. Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Clostridium botulinum can cause botulism poisoning, a rare but serious illness that attacks the body’s nervous system. Symptoms usually start with weakness of the muscles that control the eyes, face, mouth and throat. The weakness may then spread to the neck, arms, torso and legs and can weaken the muscles involved in breathing, which can lead to death, the agency stated.
Consumers who purchased the products should return them to the store where purchased for a refund or replacement.
For consumer support and product questions, call 1-888-210-6440, Monday-Friday from 9 a.m. to 6 p.m. EDT or email firstname.lastname@example.org.