The Powerball jackpot has now entered the top three in the promotion’s history. There were no grand prize winners on Monday night, sending the estimated jackpot to $1.2 billion.
The numbers selected Monday for the grand prize were 12-26-27-43-47 and the Powerball was 5. The multiplier was 2X.
Jackpot rises to $1.2 billion, third all-time in Powerball history
Update 11:59 p.m. EDT Oct. 2: For the 32nd consecutive drawing, there was no grand prize winner on Monday night. That means Wednesday’s jackpot will be an estimated $1.2 billion — the third-largest in the promotion’s history.
For the first time in Powerball history, back-to-back jackpots topped $1 billion; the last one, for $1.08 billion, was sold in July. There has been no winner since that July 19 drawing.
If someone wins the big prize on Wednesday, they will have two options: An annuity, in which the winner receives one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year, or the lump sum option. Choosing the second option will make the cash value amount approximately $551.7 million before taxes.
While there was not a grand prize winner, individual tickets worth $2 million were sold in New York and South Carolina. The winners matched five numbers and had the 2X multipliers.
There were two tickets worth $1 million; one was sold in Delaware and the other was bought in Michigan. The winners matched five numbers but did not have the Powerball number.
Top 10 Powerball jackpots
- $2.04 billion – Nov. 7, 2022 (One ticket from California).
- $1.586 billion – Jan. 13, 2016 (Three tickets from California, Florida and Tennessee).
- $1.2 billion (estimated) – Oct. 4, 2023 drawing.
- $1.08 billion – July 19, 2023, drawing (One ticket from California).
- $768.4 million – March 27, 2019 (One ticket from Wisconsin).
- $758.7 million – Aug. 23, 2017 (One ticket from Massachusetts).
- $754.6 million – Feb. 6, 2023 (One ticket from Washington).
- $731.1 million – Jan. 20, 2021 (One ticket from Maryland).
- $699.8 million – Oct. 4, 2021 (One ticket from California).
- $687.8 million – Oct. 27, 2018 (Two tickets from Iowa and New York).
2023 Powerball jackpots won
- Feb. 6 — $754.6 million — Washington
- March 4 — $162.6 million — Virginia
- April 19 — $252.6 million — Ohio
- July 19 — $1.08 billion — California
Original report: The Powerball jackpot was previously won on July 19 in California, when a single ticket won a grand prize worth $1.08 billion. Monday night’s drawing was the 32nd since the last winner.
If someone wins the big prize on Monday, they will have two options: An annuity, in which the winner receives one immediate payment followed by 29 annual payments that increase by 5% each year; or the lump sum option. Choosing the second option will make the cash value amount approximately $478.2 million before taxes.
Drawings are held every Monday, Wednesday and Saturday. Tickets, which cost $2 per play, are sold in 45 states, the District of Columbia, Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin Islands.
The odds of winning the grand prize are 1 in 292.2 million, according to Powerball.com.
©2023 Cox Media Group