Homeowner tries to remove snakes with smoke, burns home down

MONTGOMERY COUNTY, Md. — A homeowner in Maryland had an infestation of snakes so he tried a DIY method to get rid of the pests.

But the adage that says “where there’s smoke, there’s fire” came true, causing about $1 million damage.

>> Read more trending news

The homeowner used hot coals to try to smoke the snakes from his home near Poolesville, in Montgomery County, Maryland, WRC reported.

But the coals got close to flammable materials and sparked a fire on Nov. 23, WJLA reported.

The fire, which started in the basement, destroyed the home.

No one was hurt, but the “status of the snakes (is) undetermined,” Pete Piringer, the Montgomery County Fire and Rescue Services Public Information Officer, said, according to WRC.

The house sat on land at the end of a driveway that was almost a mile long and there were no fire hydrants nearby, WTTG reported.