11 displaced by house fire caused by fireworks, officials in NC say

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — Eleven people were displaced from their homes on the Fourth of July after fireworks sparked a blaze in northwest Charlotte, WSOC-TV reported.

>> Read more trending news

Firefighters found heavy smoke and flames shooting from the two-story house on Oakshire Circle at around 1:30 a.m. Sunday, according to WSOC. The home was divided into two residences, which housed a total of 11 people, fire officials said.

Medics evaluated people at the scene for smoke inhalation, WSOC reported. No injuries were reported.

Firefighters said the blaze was sparked by a firecracker that hadn’t been disposed of properly. It caused an estimated $80,000 worth of damage, according to authorities.

Officials with the American Red Cross are helping the families that were displaced by the fire, WSOC reported.

Fire officials told the news station that people should not touch fireworks for 20 minutes after they have been used. Afterward, fireworks should be dunked in water to ensure they are out before they are disposed, according to WSOC.