UNC Charlotte shooting: Grand jury indicts Trystan Terrell on murder, attempted murder charges

CHARLOTTE, N.C. — A grand jury has handed up indictments against the former student suspected of opening fire last week at the University of North Carolina at Charlotte, killing two people and wounding four others.

Authorities arrested Trystan Andrew Terrell, 22, after the April 30 shooting. He was subsequently indicted on two counts of murder, four counts of attempted murder, four counts of assault with a deadly weapon with intent to kill, possession of a firearm on educational property and discharging a firearm on educational property.

Authorities were called to a classroom building April 30 to respond to reports of gunfire. Police said Terrell opened fire on students, but his attack stopped after 21-year-old Riley Howell tackled him, likely saving lives.

Howell died as a result of his injuries, officials said.

“Riley was truly a one of a kind guy,” his family said last week in a statement. “He loved all things outdoors, adventure, and especially family. He loved to work outside and when he worked, he did it with his hands and his heart. He always was able to put others before himself and never hesitated to help anyone who needed it.”

Authorities identified the other student slain in the attack as Ellis “Reed” Parlier, a recent graduate of the Central Academy of Technology and Arts in Monroe.