17-year-old arrested in Alabama stadium shooting, charged with 9 counts attempted murder

17-year-old arrested in Alabama stadium shooting, charged with 9 counts attempted murder

Police in Mobile, Alabama, said at least 10 people were injured when gunfire erupted at a high school football game at Ladd Peebles Stadium.

MOBILE, Ala. — Authorities have made an arrest after gunfire erupted at a high school football stadium in Mobile, Alabama, Friday night injuring at least 10 people, according to news reports.

Gun shots rang out in the concourse at Ladd Peebles Stadium at the end of the game between Williamson and LeFlore High Schools, critically injuring five people, WKRG-TV reported. The victims ranged in age from 15 to 18.

Content Continues Below

Update 8:45 a.m. EDT Aug. 31: Mobile police have arrested a teenager in the shooting at Ladd Peebles Stadium, according to news reports.

Deangelo Parnell, 17, is charged with 9 counts of attempted murder, police told WKRG.

The 10 victims in the shooting were taken to local hospitals, Mobile police Chief Lawrence Battiste told news outlets. One of the victims had a seizure and was not shot during the melee.

(Original story) Mobile Police Chief Lawrence Battiste said at a news conference that 10 teens were injured at Ladd Peebles Stadium as Williamson High School was wrapping up a 10-0 victory against LeFlore High School, WALA reported.

Two people have been detained, WPMI reported.

"Ten individuals injured, ranging in age from 15 to 18, is not acceptable in our community," Battiste told reporters.

One of the victims hospitalized had suffered a seizure, Battiste said.

While Battiste said he did not have full details about the shooting, he did confirm that most of the injured victims were on the LeFlore side of the field, WALA reported.

Mobile Fire-Rescue officials confirmed 10 people were taken to area hospitals, according to WKRG. Five were in critical condition but with non-life-threatening injuries, the television station reported.

Three other patients were taken to an area hospital via private ambulance service and two others were driven to the hospital by private vehicle, WKRG reported.

Battiste the violence at the stadium was troubling.

"Mad is an understatement," Battiste told reporters. "I was disappointed more than mad.

“It goes back to the idea that why are young people bringing this type of violence to public events? We’re going to have to be more aggressive on our end .... we’ve got to make sure they understand we will not tolerate juvenile violence in our neighborhood.”

In a statement, Mobile County Public School System Director of Communication Rena Philips said "it is sad that something like this happened at a high school football game, where our athletes were having a good game on the field."