Authorities in Ohio said Tuesday that 17 people were injured by gunshots in a mass shooting that killed nine people in Dayton's Oregon District early Sunday morning.
Dayton Police Chief Richard Biehl reported the three additional injuries at a news conference Tuesday.
The injuries bring the total up from 14 to 17 people who were treated for gunshot wounds.
Biehl also provided an updated timeline to the shooting, saying that gunman was at Blind Bob's and then went to Ned Peppers for roughly half an hour before returning to his car.
Chief now giving updated timeline, says shooter started at Blind Bob's, then went to Ned Pepper's, then returned to his car at 8 minutes and retrieved items from his car, then spent 9 more minutes behind Blind Bob's. pic.twitter.com/GopArCdtA5— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) August 13, 2019
The shooter was behind Newcom's and Heart Mercantile for roughly 10 minutes before he went down an alley beside Blind Bob's and open fire.
Police showed surveillance video from various sources in the Oregon District that showed the gunman's movement in the time leading up to the shooting.
The shooter is seen walking back to his car around 12:45 a.m. and then returning to the Oregon District in a dark hoodie and with a backpack.
Video showed people on the patio at Blind Bob's ducking for cover as the gunman walked through the alley beside the patio and started shooting.
Another video showed the Dayton police officers as they first engaged the gunman.
Police believe the shooting lasted 32 seconds, with officers engaging the gunman about halfway through those seconds.
Beihl said that it was clear the gunman was familiar with the area and that the shooting had been previously planned. However, there are no indications that anyone was assisting him.
He added that the gunman was aware of where his sister was because they had been communicating in the time they were apart. Biehl also said he doesn't think any interactions at Blind Bob's or Ned Peppers caused the shooter to return to his car and get his gun.
It is still not clear if he knew he had shot his sister.
The gunman was also in the Oregon District the night before the shooting, but police are still working to determine how far in advance that he starting planning the shooting.
The way the shooter was wearing body armor was not the most protective, according to Biehl, and left him vulnerable to police's response.
Fourteen law enforcement agencies responded to the shooting, according to Dayton City Manager Shelley Dickstein.
The agencies consisted of federal, state and county first responders and they assisted with CPR, tourniquets and treating victims of the shooting.
City manager gives thanks to the Dayton Fire Department for their work at the emergency scene, also thanks other departments that helped both at the scene and filling in at Dayton fire stations. pic.twitter.com/EI7thoXpgF— Mike Campbell (@MCampbellWHIO) August 13, 2019
Dickstein said that outside of Dayton police officers who responded to the scene, there were hundreds of other first responders who provided support.
Dayton Mayor Nan Whaley asked everyone to keep the victims' families in their hearts as the families continue to mourn their loved ones.
She also said that support for the Dayton Foundation tragedy fund continues to be strong.
The Oregon District mass shooting left nine people dead.
The Cox Media Group National Content Desk contributed to this report.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.