NEW ORLEANS — A shooting that left 10 people injured in New Orleans' popular French Quarter began as part of an ongoing feud between people visiting the city, police said.
The shooting left five men and five women injured. Officials said Monday that two people remained hospitalized in stable condition.
Here are the latest updates:
Update 12:55 p.m. EST Dec. 2: Police Superintendent Shaun Ferguson said Sunday's mass shooting on Canal Street was the result of a feud between people who were visiting New Orleans from another part of Louisiana.
"This is not a domestic terrorism act," Ferguson said Monday at a news conference. "This is a feud, an ongoing feud."
At least one person opened fire Sunday, striking a 16-year-old and nine adults between the ages of 21 and 36, Ferguson said. Police said they recovered a weapon from the scene. It was not immediately clear whether any of the people injured had been targeted in the attack.
"We are looking into this to determine if any of the 10 victims were actually a part of this," Ferguson said. He described the feud as a "personal beef."
"These individuals had no regards, absolutely none, for the innocent bystanders who were out," he said.
Authorities continue to search for suspects in the shooting. The Crimestoppers of Greater New Orleans is offering $10,000 reward for information in the case.
Update 6:56 a.m. EST Dec. 2: New Orleans police took to Twitter to clarify that 10 people were hurt in Sunday's shooting, not 11 as officers previously reported.
Update 2:47 p.m. EST Dec. 1: New Orleans Mayor LaToya Cantrell released a statement on Sunday about the shootings that left 11 people injured on Canal Street, noting city officials "will not allow incidents like this to derail the progress we have made, or to further disrupt our community."
"When people resort to gun violence to resolve problems, it never creates solutions — only innocent victims and trauma," Cantrell said in the statement. "The shootings on Canal Street early this morning were an ugly disruption of an otherwise beautiful holiday weekend. We will do everything we can to wrap the victims and their families in our love and support, and to bring the criminals responsible to justice."
Update 9:23 a.m. EST Dec. 1: According to New Orleans Police Department Superintendent Shaun Ferguson, officers responded quickly because of their presence in the French Quarter becaue of Bayou Classic weekend activities, WWL reported.
"We had officers on that very block that thought they were being fired upon," Ferguson said. "Unfortunately, there were so many people out here we were unable to determine who was actually firing shots at the time."
Original report: According to WDSU and WWL, the mass shooting occurred just before 3:30 a.m. local time on Canal Street. Emergency responders rushed 10 victims to nearby hospitals, where two remain in critical condition, the outlets reported. An 11th victim walked into a hospital later that morning, police said.
New Orleans police said they detained someone in connection with the incident but are not calling that person a suspect, WWL reported.
No further information was immediately available.
© 2020 Cox Media Group