ORLANDO, Fla. — Orlando police said a toddler who was abducted Tuesday night from an Orlando apartment at gunpoint has been found safe and his mother has been arrested.
An Amber Alert was issued early Wednesday for 2-year-old Jenzell Cintron Perez. Police said at the time they believed he was abducted by his mother, Sugey Perez Diaz, 33, from the 1000 block of South Conway Road.
Officers said the toddler was located in good health in DeLand Wednesday afternoon. They said his mother was arrested on suspicion of armed burglary and aggravated assault.
The boy's father, Juan Cintron, and his stepmother, Stephanie Maldonado, told WFTV that Jenzell was taken at gunpoint at about 11 p.m. Tuesday when Diaz kicked in the back door of their Metro Michigan Park apartment.
According to Maldonado, Perez threatened her with a gun.
"(She said) if I moved, she will kill me," Maldonado said. “I’m just so scared for my baby. I don’t know if he’s safe or if he’s not. I am just really scared.”
The boy's father was not at home at the time of the incident, officials said.
“There is no custody agreement in place at this time,” Crosby said. "DCF was involved. What had been negotiated between the parents was a voluntary custody order whereby the father was in custody of the child."
Police said they are working to identify an additional suspect in the case as the investigation into the home invasion continues.
WFTV reporter Mike Springer said Ormond Beach police were looking through surveillance video to see if Jenzell was spotted in the city.
Ormond Beach police told Springer that a woman at a Walmart said she saw a woman who matched the description of Jenzell’s mother at the store at about 1 a.m.
© 2020 Cox Media Group