• Police arrest security guards accused of shooting teen on unrelated charges


    DEKALB COUNTY, Ga. - Police confirmed they have arrested two security guards who are accused of shooting a DeKalb County teen, but the charges stem from an incident from moments before the shooting.

    Channel 2's Carl Willis was there when police announced the security guards had been arrested on charges of impersonating an officer.

    Now investigators said they're collecting evidence to find out if the shooting, which happened off apartment property near the Village at Wesley Chapel Apartments, was justified.

    "I hope that they do find out who's responsible, and they are prosecuted to the full extent of the law," Ervin Jefferson, Jr., the victim's father, told Willis as they watched detectives and K-9 units return to the scene of his 18-year-old son's killing.

    Police said the security guards involved in the shooting have not been charged in Ervin Jefferson III's death, but for how they approached a suspicious car moments earlier.

    "These security guards identified themselves to the female occupants as police officers. They gathered the female occupants IDs and possibly took pictures of them using their cellphones," said William Miller, DeKalb County Public Safety Director

    Curtis Scott and Gary Jackson have been charged with impersonating an officer.

    Police said the women in the car were there to continue an earlier fight with the younger Jefferson's sister.

    Jefferson's father said the teen arrived at the scene to defend her and didn't know who the security guards were with. He approached them aggressively before he was shot and killed.

    "The pain is just unbearable," Jefferson's father said.

    The victim's family also said it appeared that the teen had been run over but police said that was not the case.

    "Our evidence seems to indicate that Mr. Jefferson was struck. He fell down and may have tried to keep from getting shot again and tried to crawl up under the car," Miller said.

    Police said the security guards returned fire after hearing gunshots coming from the victim's home.

    Police said Bobby Hubbard, of unknown relation to the victim, was the one firing the shots.

    Hubbard has been arrested on charges of reckless conduct and possession of a firearm by a convicted felon.

    Next Up: