A elderly woman who developed a flesh-eating bacteria from a donkey bite has reached a settlement with the farm where she was bitten.
Anna Maria Giacomi was feeding a donkey on a commercial farm in north Georgia in November 2015 when it bit her and dragged her into its pen. She said she had known and fed the donkey for five years.
"The donkey grabbed my wrist and started biting, chewing, crunching going up my arm," she said.
She was taken to the hospital developed a flesh-eating bacteria and had 11 surgeries in just two months. Doctors had to amputate one leg and one arm.
"I woke up with no arm and no leg. It was hideous," Giacomi said.
- Mom defends teenage son caught on camera punching another student
- Sheriff arrested in park apologizes: 'I am still your sheriff'
- Teen attacks classmate with knife at metro Atlanta HS
Her attorney, Darren Tobin, said the hospital did not realize she contracted the bacteria until it was almost too late. He plans to sue for medical malpractice.
Attorneys reached an undisclosed settlement with the farm last week. They cannot identify the farm because of a confidentiality agreement.
Giacomi has since moved to Miami with her son.
"This is the worst things that can happen, really, this situation of mine. And if it happened to me, it can happen to anybody," she said.
Channel 2's Richard Elliot asked Giacomi's attorney what happened to the donkey. He only knows that it no longer lives on that farm.
© 2019 Cox Media Group.