Woman shot in parking lot of Buckhead lounge; Gunman at large

ATLANTA — A young woman is in the hospital as she recovers after being shot in the back early Friday morning.

Atlanta police told Channel 2 Action News the 24-year-old woman was shot in the parking lot of a Buckhead lounge.

A little before 5 a.m. Friday, officers were called to Kompass Rose Grill and Lounge -- previously called the Anchor Down Grille & Lounge -- in the 2500 block of Piedmont Road.


"All we know is she exited the lounge, was getting into a vehicle and was shot in the back," said Capt. Andrew Senzer.

The woman told police she was once in a relationship with the man who shot her and stated he was upset she was with another man.

This isn't the first time the lounge has been on Channel 2 Action News.

The scene looked very familiar to July 2016 when 25-year-old Taylor Haden was killed by a stray bullet during a shootout outside the same place, the same time of morning, hours after the bar had been closed.

"I thought the place was shut down, so this is extremely aggravating," said Atlanta City Councilmember Howard Shook.

The business sits in Buckhead, Shook's district. Shook said he plans to launch an investigation formally on Monday.

Channel 2 Action News has reported shootings at the Anchor Down Grille & Lounge before and investigated the lounge after former NFL players were charged with selling alcohol after hours.

"Why this place continues to operate in violation of whole plethora of liquor license laws, in open secret fashion, seem to be flaunting it publicly and I want to know who's been looking the other way," Shook said.

Police also told Channel 2's Steve Gehlbach  they're working with the city's legal department to explore other options on how to revoke the bar's license.

Even if it does have an active liquor license to pour, the establishment is not allowed to pour after 2:30 a.m.

Shook doubts Kompass Rose even had a license. Shook also said he is thankful the shooting didn't end in another death.

Police said the shooter is still at large after fleeing on foot.

Comments on this article