GWINNETT COUNTY, Ga. - The Gwinnett County Fire Department responded to a fire at the vacant Bryant Place Apartments.
Channel 2's Tony Thomas reports the building that caught fire was empty, because it was being remodeled.
Officials say there were no workers on site, but management reportedly had ordered a trespasser to leave the boarded-up building.
Firefighters say it's not clear if that incident has anything to do with the fire.
As firefighters worked to put out the flames, some residents watched in relief after fearing their home might catch fire.
"So I was pretty nervous 'cause when I saw the flames I saw it came from over here so I was like that could be mine," Christopher Rodriguez said.
The building was being remodeled after a February fire damaged the building. Forty people were displaced by the February fire.
Management hoped the building could be rented out in the coming weeks. Now it's possible the structure can't be saved.