What happened to UGA star Trent Thompson? And what's next?

ATHENS, Ga. — Less than 48 hours after a bizarre encounter with University of Georgia police, there are still more questions than answers surrounding Trent Thompson’s health scare.

The star defensive tackle was taken to the hospital early Thursday morning after an encounter with police.

According to an incident report obtained by Channel 2 Action News, an officer encountered Thompson wandering in the road just after 1 a.m. Thursday.

The officer stopped Thompson and tried to question him. He said Thompson "appeared very unsteady on his feet, and his eyes were very bloodshot."


At several points, the officer said, Thompson appeared as if he intended to walk away.

According to the report, Thompson said he had not been drinking alcohol.

After additional officials arrived at the scene, Thompson eventually said he had taken "two oxies."

A short time later, the Albany native was taken to Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center.

According to DawgNation, there have been unconfirmed reports that Thompson had offseason shoulder surgery. Neither Thompson nor members of his family responded to calls and texts seeking comment.

Thompson will be withdrawing from classes, according to his family.

“Trent has asked that we don’t speak to anybody else about what’s happened, just because the football team is a brotherhood and a family,” kicker Rodrigo Blankenship said Thursday.

UGA released the following statement Thursday evening:

"Based upon recent events, Trenton Thompson's family has authorized UGAAA to release the following information. Trenton has been dealing with a significant medical issue which required emergency hospitalization and extended hospital stay. Trenton was recently discharged from the hospital and remains under close medical care. With respect to last night's incident, the physical appearance and behavior described in the UGA PD report is solely related to an adverse reaction to medications prescribed specifically for his medical condition. The adverse reaction required emergency transport to Piedmont Athens Regional Medical Center where he was treated and released. Toxicology tests performed at the hospital were negative for OxyContin. We cannot release any further information at this time due to federal privacy laws.  Due to the medical issues, Trenton is withdrawing from classes this semester, and his family requests privacy during this time."

Thompson, a rising junior, was the MVP of the Outback Bowl this past season.

He was considered the No. 1 overall recruiting prospect in America when he signed with the Bulldogs out of Albany’s Westover High School in 2015.