• Grandson charged in death of 75-year-old Decatur woman


    DECATUR, Ga. - Channel 2 Action News has confirmed the name of a 75-year-old woman killed inside a home in Decatur.

    Decatur police have identified the woman as Shirley Kendrick. She appeared to have been stabbed and to have suffered a head injury.

    Preliminary reports say Decatur fire workers were called to a home on Cambridge Avenue just before midnight.

    After an investigation conducted by Decatur police and GBI detectives, authorities arrested and charged Kendrick’s grandson, 23-year-old Marquis La’Vonta Freeman, with murder, aggravated assault and battery in connection with the victim's death.

    A neighbor ran over to the residence after other relatives ran out and screamed for help around the time of the incident.

    Channel 2's Sophia Choi spoke to neighbor John Post.

    "I helped keep the assailant pinned to the ground with the grandson and the entire time the guy that we had pinned, kept saying, 'Kill me now, kill me now, show me the light,'" recalled Post. "Basically (he was) saying he knew what he had done and he was ready to not deal with the consequences."

    Decatur police said they came to the scene after paramedics who showed up first suspected an assault had occurred.

    Kendrick was taken to a hospital where she later died. Police said family members attempted to intervene in the assault. Kendrick's son suffered serious but non-life-threatening injuries. Kendrick's husband received minor injuries.

    Neighbors said Kendrick was a beloved member of the community. Channel 2 Action News saw several loved ones stopping by Kendrick's home after learning about her death.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Grandson charged in death of 75-year-old Decatur woman

  • Headline Goes Here

    Bus drivers plan 'sick out' for next 3 days

  • Headline Goes Here

    Police working to ID woman who collapsed, died in road

  • Headline Goes Here

    5 things to know about Diane McIver

  • Headline Goes Here

    Man beaten to death at DeKalb County motel, police say