• Neighbor alerts woman to burning home


    LOGANVILLE, Ga.,None - A Gwinnett County woman is thanking her neighbor for saving her from a burning home.

    Neighbors said the fire at a home on Lake Valley Drive in Loganville moved very quickly. One moment it was a garage fire, and the next it was a major house fire, threatening nearby homes, they said.

    By the time firefighters arrived around 3:30 a.m. on Wednesday, the home was fully in flames.

    The woman who owns the home, Sabine Alexis, got out safely and no one else was injured. Her neighbor, Chad Evans was the first to see the fire.

    “I saw the blaze coming out of this garage here, from the car it seemed like, so I grabbed my phone, called 911 and ran over and banged on the door,” Evans said.

    Firefighters said their main objective was to keep the fire from spreading to nearby homes.

    Neighbors said they were concerned flying embers from the fire would ignite the flammable vinyl siding on their own homes.

    Thanks to quick efforts by firefighters, damage to other homes was limited to heat damage to the homes on either side of the fire.

    Alexis’ home was completely destroyed by the fire, which firefighters said likely began as a car fire in the garage.

    “It’s just a house. I can start over,” Alexis said.

    Next Up:

  • Headline Goes Here

    Neighbor alerts woman to burning home

  • Headline Goes Here

    Firefighter-to-Masters golfer: Talk about a Hollywood story!